Lidl Hellas had accrued a large audience but were struggling to engage them or attract more without ever-increasing paid budgets.
- Their audience was unevenly distributed between platforms and they didn’t know how to prioritize growing new channels vs. serving existing audiences.
- Lidl in Greece has no e-commerce assets, so measurement of success cannot be directly linked to sales.
- Targets for organic KPIs set by HQ in Germany do not reflect the realities of Greek social media audiences.
Strategy & Execution
We executed an in-depth audience analysis across channels, developed digital personas and produced an A/B testing guide that their internal team adopted.
- First, we conducted a statistical analysis of their followers across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn. We weighed the relative importance of each channel and developed broad audience sets by combining the findings.
- Next, we turned those audience sets into four digital personas by comparing the social data to an in-store customer survey conducted previously with a particular focus to the brand affinities and demographic traits of the Facebook audience, which comprised 92% of the entire online audience. Each persona also came with targeted campaign ideas.
- Finally, we developed a step by step guide to creating digital content focused on personas, with detailed instructions on A/B testing, market specific benchmarks, ideas for experiments and instructions on scaling those results into paid promotions. We called this the Content Testing Framework, which was supplemented by an A/B test significance calculator where they could track their experiments.
The clients were thrilled by the new personas and immediately started to plan campaigns based on them, A/B testing messaging and executing segmented campaigns across channels.
- Our deliverables kicked off 3 months of A/B testing content which saw excellent returns. We reviewed their data every month and caught up for a consulting session where the clients reported big improvements and a new approach to their work.
- Lidl Hellas’ social media team went on to win 10 awards at the Social Media Awards Greece in 2018, a Bronze Award in the category Social Media Retail Strategy of Retail Business Awards and a Gold Award in the Hellenic Responsible Business Awards. (We like to think we helped!)